24 Hour/7 Days
Phone 1300 66 11 42
Royal Children's Hospital
Direct: 03 9345 4299
Fax: 03 9345 6453
The Angela Taylor Child Protection Unit
Monash Medical Centre
Direct: 03 9594 2155
Fax: 9594 6328
The VFPMS provides holistic multidisciplinary paediatric medical care
for children and young people when child abuse, assault and neglect
is suspected. The children's safety, health and well-being are
paramount. The service functions to assist the children, their families,
Child Protection, Victoria Police and the Courts.
The Victorian Forensic Paediatric Medical Service provides:-
- 24 hour access to medical expertise for the evaluation of all types
of suspected child abuse; including physical injuries, neglect,
child sexual abuse and paediatric evaluation of children at
risk for child abuse and neglect.
- 24 hour telephone advice and consultation.
- Coordination of all Victorian
paediatric forensic medical services.
- Integration with existing
paediatric and forensic services to facilitate access to a
broad range of health services for investigation and treatment,
including mental health treatment, for the child and their
- Training and education for
- all Victorian doctors working with abused
- Acute Health service staff
- Other professionals working with abused
children, particularly Child Protection workers and Police.
- Medical students attending University of Melbourne and
with the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, the Royal
Australasian College of General Practitioners and the Australian
College of Legal Medicine to ensure ‘best practice’ standards.
to contribute to the evidence base for identification and care
of vulnerable children.